If You Need Help...
If you or someone you know is being abused, call:
- National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-SAFE (7233)
- Peaceful Paths Domestic Abuse Network Hotline at 352-377-8255 or 800-393-SAFE (7233)
- UFPD's Office of Victim Services at 352-392-5648
- The Source Program (UF College of Law) at 352-273-0805
For more information about domestic violence, visit:
- U.S. Department of Justice's Office on Violence Against Women at www.ovw.usdoj.gov/publications.
- Peaceful Paths Domestic Abuse Network: http://www.peacefulpaths.org/
- Intimate Partner Violence Assistance Clinic (UF College of Law): http://www.law.ufl.edu/academics/clinics/civil/ipvac
Need background information on the topic of domestic violence? Try the following online reference sources. REMINDER: If you are off campus, connect to the VPN (http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/ufproxy.html) before clicking on these links:
Click on each title to find it in UF Libraries on DVD or VHS.
What's Love Got to Do with It? Chronicles the career of Tina Turner from the time she met musician-songwriter Ike Turner until the launch of her solo career in the early 1980's. Anna Mae, determined not leave as her mother did when she was a child, endures the violence of her frustrated and unstable husband.
Once Were Warriors. This film tells the story of an urban Māori family and their problems with poverty, alcoholism and domestic violence, mostly brought on by family patriarch Jake.
Te doy mis ojos (Take My Eyes). A woman flees from her abusive husband and starts a new life of economic independence. To try and win his wife back, her husband attends anger management therapy.
Defending Our Lives. Exmines the magnitude and severity of domestic violence in the United States. Features the personal testimonies of four women imprisoned for killing their batterers.
The Burning Bed. This film is based on the true story of Francine Hughes, a battered housewife who was prosecuted in 1977 for dousing her abusive husband with gasoline and setting him on fire as he slept.
UF Theses & Dissertations
More Research Guides
- Last Updated Aug 11, 2014
Women's and Gender Studies research takes an interdisciplinary approach to the study of gender, its function in cultures and societies, and its intersections with race and class.
1,278 views this year
- Last Updated Mar 3, 2014
Recommended resources for research in criminology and criminal justice.
2,244 views this year
- Last Updated Aug 18, 2014
Recommended resources for research in psychology.
4,673 views this year
- Last Updated Jul 30, 2014
356 views this year
Books from the Catalog
Is Domestic Violence a Serious Problem?
What Factors Contribute to Domestic Violence?
Are Legal Remedies Against Domestic Violence Just and Effective?
How Can Society Help Victims of Domestic Violence?
Quick Catalog Searches
Click any of the subject headings below to instantly search the library catalog for books, videos, reports, and more:
You'll find many books about domestic violence on the First Floor of Library West with the call number HV 6626.
Journals and Databases
Click the following links for quick access to suggested journals and databases. Remember to log into the VPN first!
- Journal of Family Violence
- Journal of Interpersonal Violence
- Journal of Marriage and Family
- Violence Against Women
- Criminal Justice Abstracts
- PILOTS: Published International Literature on Traumatic Stress
- Sociological Abstracts
- Women's Studies International