- What is Ethics in Research & Why is It Important?
overview article by David B. Resnik, J.D., Ph.D. for NIH
- Must try harder
"Too many sloppy mistakes are creeping into scientific papers. Lab heads must look more rigorously at the data — and at themselves." Article in Nature 483, 509 (29 March 2012). Log in through VPN if off-campus.
- The road to fraud starts with a single step
Article in Nature 479, 151 (2011). Log in through VPN if off-campus.
- An Introduction to Principles of Ethics and Morality for Scientists and Engineers
from IDEESE at UMass-Amherst -- background for instructors who may not have expertise in teaching ethics
- Office of Research Integrity
The Office of Research Integrity (ORI) oversees and directs Public Health Service (PHS) research integrity activities on behalf of the Secretary of Health and Human Services with the exception of the regulatory research integrity activities of the Food and Drug Administration.
- RCR Modules
from NC State, excellent guides through topics in research ethics, with case studies
- Lab Management Video Vignettes
Developed at UC-Davis for the ORI. Each case is presented in several different brief scenes to display a variety of outcomes.
- Center for the Study of Ethics in the Professions (CSEP)
"One of the nation's leading centers for practical and professional ethics." Contains Codes of Ethics and Modules in Applied Ethics (case studies).
Includes "normative documents, such as guidelines for safety in the workplace, and descriptive materials, such as analysis of the U.S. government’s capacity for oversight and studies of the media coverage of nanotechnology." Also links to projects and related organizations.
Collaborative community site for announcing and discussing topics in bioethics.
- IDEESE: Int'l Dimensions of Ethics Educ. in Science & Engineering
From U-Mass Amherst. Offers case studies and teaching modules.
- Teaching Ethics for Research, Scholarship, & Practice
From the Univ of Minnesota.
- Survival Skills for Researchers: The Responsible Conduct of Research
From MIT OpenCourseWare - selected lecture notes
- Ethics CORE Digital Library
from the University of Illinois, supported by NSF.
- OpenSeminar in Responsible Conduct of Research
from North Carolina State University
- Association for Practical & Professional Ethics
The Association for Practical and Professional Ethics is "a comprehensive, international organization advancing scholarship, education, and practice in practical and professional ethics." Has links to Center and Association Members.
- National Postdoctoral Association Responsible Conduct of Research Toolkit
The NPA's RCR Toolkit "provides advice on developing responsible conduct of research (RCR) programming for postdocs. It is intended for those developing programs, but may also prove useful for individuals seeking information on RCR topics."
- Ensuring the integrity, accessibility, and stewardship of research data in the digital age
A free e-book published by The National Academies Press, National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and Institute of Medicine.
- Online Ethics Center for Engineering and Research
From the National Academy of Engineering. Guidelines, codes, and case studies
- Ethics Education Library
From the Center for the Study of Ethics at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
- Bio & Medical Research Ethics
links from Columbia University
- Professional Ethics Report
newsletter published by AAAS Scientific Responsibility, Human Rights and Law Program
- Educational Programs for Scientists on the dual use dilemma
from AAAS - Center for Science, Technology, and Security Policy
- Bioethics Research Library at Georgetown University - Resources
links to websites and indexes of journal articles
- Online Bioethics Resources
Links to relevant government agencies and other related websites