Updated July 2005
There are two kinds of "bound with" publications:
1. Separately published titles that were bound and issued together afterwards by the publisher in a separate edition (PUBLISHER bound)
2. Separately published titles that were privately bound together after publication by their owner (PRIVATELY bound). The "Bound with" procedures described below apply.
Local Cataloging Procedure
A. Publisher Bound without collective title, and Privately Bound. (NOT Rare Books - for Rare Books see B. below)
1. Search all titles in the volume in ALEPH
2. After the primary (occurring first in the volume) and then the secondary record(s) have been cataloged, apply the following steps:
On the bib records for the primary and each secondary title add as the final 5XX note a 501 "With" note to indicate the other "bound or published with" titles, in the following form. NOTE: the 501 note on the bib record for the primary title will list all of the other (secondary) titles occurring in the volume (but see (2) below).
501 With: Title / Author. Place of publication : Publisher, Date.
Three works are bound together following originally separate publications of them:
First work in volume (primary title): Jacob, H. Of the sister arts. New York : [s.n.], 1856.
Second work in volume (secondary title): Jacob, H. Sequel to Of the sister arts. New York : Brown, 1864.
Third work in volume (secondary title): Smith, J. On the works of H. Jacob. Boston : Jones, 1870.
On the ALEPH record for the first work:
501 With: Sequel to Of the sister arts / H. Jacob. New York : Brown, 1864. On the works of H. Jacob / J. Smith. Boston : Jones, 1870.
BUT: the 501 notes on the bib records for each of the secondary titles will list only the primary title.
On the ALEPH record for the second work: 501 With: Of the sister arts / H. Jacob. New York : [s.n.], 1856.
On the ALEPH record for the third work: 501 With: Of the sister arts / H. Jacob. New York : [s.n.], 1856.
On the holdings records for the primary and each secondary title
- Enter the same call number (the one assigned to the entire volume, based on the primary title)
- For each *secondary* title, add in the subfield x note field on the holdings record:
Bound with nnnnnnn [ALEPH record number for the primary title]
Barcoding. (For volumes destined for Rare Books and Special Collections, see B (4) below)
Use item record for [ALEPH no. of primary title]
3. If there are more than 3 works bound or published together (for example, 10 short one-act plays, originally published separately and now bound into a single volume), refer the volume to your supervisor for a decision on whether to catalog the volume using a Collection Level Record. (Refer volumes destined for Rare Books and Special Collections to the Rare Books cataloger).
B. Rare Books and Special Collections
- Insert a barcoded acid-free strip into the physical volume at the beginning of the volume
- Follow the steps for item record creation for regular materials ((2)(c) above)