Updated March 2011
All types of member copy are done by all department units. For specialized areas such as scores, cartographic resources, rare books, etc. see the head of that unit for the correct procedures to follow.
Procedure for Cataloging Member Copy with Call Number:
- Search item by title in ALEPH to verify record has been loaded and to check for duplicate records.
- Verify that the correct OCLC record has been downloaded
- If the ALEPH record is still a provisional, search OCLC for correct record and overlay ALEPH record
- If the correct record has not been loaded and you cannot find OCLC copy that matches the item in hand, write the system number in the inside upper right corner of the first page and treat as 0-OCLC. Be sure to add a note explaining that an incorrect record was downloaded in error. Be sure to delete the holdings in OCLC set on the incorrect record. Make any needed corrections to the bib record.
- During the above actions, verify that copy matches by comparing all fields important for making sure the item in hand and the record match: 1XX, 7XX, 24X, 250, 260, 300 4XX and 8XX fields.
- Authority Work (click here for information on how to read an authority record)
- Check the validity of the main subject headings (if any). You can do this at a glance by examining the printout of the OCLC copy. If the subject headings are underlined, the subject headings are probably correct. There are some sub-headings that when used incorrectly still control in OCLC. If the searcher forgot to control the subject heading, search the OCLC record in Connexion. Hit SHIFT F11 to control the headings.
- If some subject headings are not verified or are not LC subject headings (second indicator is 0 or there 653s),
- Check the main subject heading (subfield a) and verify that it is correct. We are not required to verify sub-headings. You may do so, however, at your own discretion.
- If you are still unable to verify any of the main subject headings, place on distribution table for distribution to staff in Science/Social Science and Humanities units. Be sure to put a note on the item indicating why you are sending the book to Contributed.
- Check series using F3 in ALEPH. Until the ALEPH authority database can be updated regularly, it is best to check series authorities using Connexion. In addition, use F3 to check local series treatment, because local series treatment can differ from LC series treatment.
- Always check to verify whether the series is classed together or separately. Do this by first using F3. If there is no authority in ALEPH, check in Connexion. Also search the series title in ALEPH to see how other items in the series were cataloged. If there appears to be a conflict (i.e. some titles are classed together and some separately and there is no indication on the authority record that this is the case), notify the Authorities Unit.
- If the series is given in a 490 and does not have an 830, verify that the 1st indicator of the 490 field matches the information in the 645 on the authority record, (i.e. is the series traced or not?). First indicator 1 means the series is traced, 0 means that it is not traced. The 645 should be consistent with the indicator.
- If no authority exists for a series, create a local series authority. There are templates provided in ALEPH for numbered and unnumbered local series authorities.
- If there is a problem with the series, refer the item to the Authorities Unit or consult with your supervisor.
- If no authority exists for a name (personal or corporate), in most cases, we do not create a local series authority for a personal, corporate or conference name unless one is needed to resolve a conflict. Consult with the Authorities Unit first if you feel a local name authority is needed to resolve a problem such as a split file.
- Complete holdings.
- If there is more than one copy already cataloged, treat as a copy add for same location or a different location.
- Create the item record.
- Please always use the label functionality in the Item List in the Item Module to view the way the label will print in Processing.
- If needed, add an 853/863 pair for volumes or a 854/864 pair for supplemental material, including CDs, sound discs, etc. See AlephPro under Holdings
- Physical Handling of Item
- Book jackets for all locations, except LAC and Library West, are kept with the book. Remove book jacket and place inside book.
- Bar Code Placement:
- Write call number in upper right corner of inside back cover.
- Add location under call number as needed (stamp when available) BX1788 |b .C78 for LAC TS3879.A97 |b D35 1992 for main