Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
COVID-19: CLEANING COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS FOR ALL USERS
The following information provides guidance on how to clean computers, computer accessories, touchscreen devices and electronics that are considered high-touch items. All computers, computers accessories, touchscreen devices and electronics in shared locations should be frequently cleaned and disinfected. When cleaning computers, computer accessories, touchscreen devices and electronics it is important to follow the manufacturer recommendations for specific cleaning requirements.
General cleaning tips
- Use a lint-free cloth, such as a screen wipe or a cloth made from microfiber.
- Avoid excessive wiping and submerging item in cleanser to avoid damage.
- Unplug all external power sources and cables.
- Ensure moisture does not get into any openings.
- Never spray cleaner directly on an item.
Approved COVID-19 disinfectants safe for computers, accessories and electronics
- Using an approved disinfectant wipe or a wipe containing 70% alcohol, gently and carefully wipe the hard, nonporous surface of the item. This includes the display, keyboard, mouse and the exterior surface of the item. If you have concerns about the cleaning product being used, please refer to the manufacturer’s recommendations and warning label.
- When using a disinfectant wipe, it is important to follow the contact time found on the label. It may be necessary to use more than one wipe to keep the surface wet for the recommended contact time.
- Do not use fabric or leather surfaces on items, as this can scratch or damage to the items.
- Do not use bleach to disinfect computers and electronics.
Circulating technology items cleaning tips
- Each item should be cleaned upon returned, using the tips listed above.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.