Skip to Main Content

Environmental Engineering Sciences: FAQ

UF's Department of Environmental Engineering Sciences (EES) with the Department of Civil & Coastal Engineering (CCE) comprise the UF Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure & Environment. EES + CCE = ESSIE

Frequently Asked Questions

    1. I'm working off campus. How can I access the databases and read electronic journals?

      The majority of our electronic databases and journals are restricted for use only by UF faculty, staff, and students. If you are on campus, the library recognizes your IP address, however if you are off campus, you will need to log on using the UF VPN software.

    2. The UF library doesn't have my:
      • Journal: Be sure that you are looking in the catalog for the journal and not just through the e-journal locator. We have an increasing number of journals online but many titles (especially older volumes) are still in print format. The print journals in Marston are shelved by call number and date: volumes after 1990 are on the 3rd floor and before 1990 on the 1st floor. If we don't hold your desired journal, you can request the individual article through Interlibrary Loan (see book below).
      • Book: If you can't locate the book in the catalog, you can order it through Interlibrary Loan. You will need to create a separate ILL account with you contact information and specify as much information as you can about the desired book.


  1. How can I make a copy of an article in a print journal?

    Marston Science Library has imaging machines located on the second (main) and first floors. These machines can print, copy or scan. The cost is $0.10 (b/w) and $0.50 (color) per page through your Gator 1 card, to which you must add value for vending services at  If you wish to obtain a departmental copier account, contact the Gator 1 card office. You can also check out most journals to photocopy articles in your department or a store. Scanners are also available on the second (main) and first floors, to make a PDF of the article which you can then save on a USB drive, burn to a CD, or email to yourself.  More...

  2. I'd like to use software to manage my citations. Does the library provide such software?

    We offer EndNote, a web-based bibliographic manager, for all faculty, staff, and students. EndNote allows users to create an unlimited number of accounts, import and create article citations, and format and quickly output reference lists into Word, HTML, or plain text format. You will need to create an account and, if off campus, be sure to use the UF Group code (provided during account creation). 

  3. How can I get more help about using the library?

    The best way to obtain help is to contact your librarian. She can be reached by email at, in person at 209B MSL, or by phone at 352-273-2864. Please contact her if you are having trouble finding material, wish to place material on course reserve, have questions about databases, or would like to schedule an instruction session for yourself, class, or lab group.

    For general reference questions, please call the Marston Science Library reference desk at 352-273-2856 or instant message our chat reference service at screen-name uflibrarian on Google, AOL, or Yahoo. For more information, please see our "Ask A Librarian" page.

Subject Guide

Off-campus access

For off-campus access to library-licensed e-Journals, research databases and e-resources, use either:

UF VPN - or - the library proxy server (on the remote logon page)

University of Florida Home Page

This page uses Google Analytics - (Google Privacy Policy)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.