The UF Libraries have full text of:
* All current IEEE standards online through the IEEE/IEE Electronic Library (IEL). Use VPN or UF wireless on your device.
* ASTM Standards are online. Use VPN or UF wireless on your device. Print versions of the 2012 Annual Book of ASTM Standards are in the Science Library (main floor) TA 401 .A653 as well as 2009 and 2006 sets (4th floor). Many older ASTM standards can be retrieved from storage.
* 2007 ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section II - Materials online via Knovel.
See what standards organizations do, and purchase standards not available through the library. Many more options on the Standards Guide.
US Patent 5067272 for a Apparatus for water desalination and drip irrigation of row crops
Patent websites vary in coverage. Some only have full text or images for recent years. Some have better quality images than others. In some search engines, keywords only work on recent years. If you are doing a full, deep, and serious search, be sure to identify and search on the patent classifications (see details on the Patents Guide) as well as keywords.
There are three types of U.S. patents:
1) Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, article of manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof;
2) Design patents may be granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture; and
3) Plant patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers and asexually reproduces any distinct and new variety of plant.
(from USPTO website)
... and patents include definitions of terms used. Remember, though, that patents are written by attorneys and not by engineers!