Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Material Gift Acceptance and Selection
- Revised Policies (Last updated - March 2014) -
- Parameters for accepting material gifts for the library - Acquisitions/Gifts Program staff and subject specialists/selectors/library staff will communicate and work together to set and follow tighter parameters for accepting gift donations:
A. Parameters that restrict acceptance:
- Popular trade paperback
- Popular magazines
- Duplicate academic journals
- Reprints, proceedings, etc.
- Materials in poor condition
- Items/formats no longer collected/supported (e.g. VHS tapes, Vinyl records)
B. Additional parameters to restrict acceptance, although negotiable based on scope and quality of the donation:
- Large gifts (gifts over 250 volumes - about 10 boxes) must be reviewed in person by a selector and deemed of exceptional quality.
- Gifts requiring van pick up or postal charges.*
- Gifts with stipulations for special handling or processing.
- Parameters for selecting materials for collections - Acquisitions/Gifts Program staff and subject specialists/selectors/library staff will communicate and work together to set and follow tighter parameters for the selection of gift materials for library collections:
A. Basic parameters that preclude selection:
- Duplicate titles held in the collection (unless the duplicates are located in Course Reserves or have circulation of 10 uses or more) or in the holdings of two or more SUS libraries.
- Missing item (will be added by default unless item is duplicated in holdings)
- Books with imprint dates over 10 years old (certain areas can request selection review of older books - ‘Rare Books’, ‘Florida History’, some disciplines found within Social Sciences/Humanities, etc.).
- Materials accepted by Special & Area Studies collection managers that adhere to S&AS Dept. review policies and parameters.
B. Additional parameters to consider before selection:
- Any gift collection over 250 volumes in size.*
- Any gift collection over 100 volumes published in a non-Romance language.*
- Any gift collection over 50 volumes requiring special processing or bookplating.
*authorization must come from a Dean or Branch Chair
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.