Skip to Main Content

Governor's House Library and St. Augustine: DeMesa Sanchez House (43 St. George Street)

Resources and information for researching the history of St. Augustine and using Governor's House Library.

De Mesa Sanchez House History

The De Mesa-Sánchez House is a restored example of two First Spanish Period (1565-1763) homes. The first known owner, Antonio de Mesa, built a one-story, one-room coquina structure on the property around 1740. During the British Period (1764-1784), the home was used as a governmental office, and several rooms were added. Don Juan Sánchez purchased the home in 1784 and added its second story. In the 1950s, the home was remodeled as a northern Spanish Inn. The De Mesa-Sánchez House was then acquired by the State of Florida in 1977 and restored to its American Territorial Period (1821-1845) appearance.  

The full Wikipedia entry for the De Mesa Sanchez House is available here.

Florida Master Site File

Historic American Buildings Survey

Block and Lot Location

University of Florida Home Page

This page uses Google Analytics - (Google Privacy Policy)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.