The de Hita House is a reconstructed example of a First Spanish Period (1565-1763) house. The original home on this site was a tabby home owned by cavalry soldier Gerónimo de Hita. The de Hita House and the adjacent González House were both abandoned at the start of the British Period (1764-1784). Both houses were reconstructed by the State of Florida in 1979 after archaeological excavations located the original foundations. The two homes are now connected.
The full Wikipedia entry for the de Hita and Gonzalez Houses is available here.