Last updated August 2019 by Gerald Langford and Jorge Gonzalez
Global Changes – Replace Text (for Holdings Records)
Get report of changes that will be made
- In Aleph Cataloging Module under the Aleph menu choose Connect to…, then UXU60
- Choose the binoculars tab and use [F] Find search option
- Use Advanced Search Tab
- Base – choose HOL ALL – UXU60
- Next dropdown box -- choose WSC (sublibrary, collection)
- Enter (sublibrary, collection) codes with no comma between them, only a space, with quotes around all (e.g., “ufswe gen”) – (sometimes collection code is all you need)
- Save result set (push Save button) - name file (limit to 10 letters or less), click OK
- Click on Services on the menu
- Go to Catalog Maintenance Procedures
- Click on Global changes (manage-21)
- Enter input and output files – input (file newly created, and a new “out” file)
- Make sure default on Update database = no (to get a report of the changes)
- Tag = enter MARC tag number (852)
Specify change to be made
- Replace this text = enter text (if any subsequent subfield is needed, add $$subfield letter and text with no spaces around "$$ subfield letter")
- With this text = enter text (if any subsequent subfield is needed, add $$subfield letter and text with no spaces around "$$ subfield letter")
- Click on Submit button
Verify changes in report
- Choose the “pencil box” tab
- Highlight output file (should be at or near top of file list)
- Make sure “Print Configuration” is set to “Preview”
- Click on Print button
- View report
Make actual changes
- Click on Services and follow previous steps.
- Use “View History” button to pull up copy of previous input form to rerun the changes.
- Check "Add to History" button (this is for further editing and creating temporary template).
- If desired, change Output File name.
- Update database = yes (to actually make the changes in Aleph).
- Verify changes by running old search parameters again.
- Reconnect to UXU01.