Updated July 2022 by Hank Young
Simple Frequency Changes for Periodicals
If a serial changes frequency from annual to more frequently than annual, or from a greater frequency to annual, use the procedure here.
Catalogers should receive notice from the branch or from the Acquisitions & Collections Services Department. Information sent should include the title, MMSID/OCLC #, and current and former frequency of the title.
All you need to do:
- Verify whether the information is correct.
- Check OCLC to see whether changes have been made to the frequency on the master record.
- If needed, change fixed field values in the OCLC record.
- Move the previous frequency to a 321 field, and the current frequency to the 310 field. Multiple 321 fields should be entered in chronological order from oldest to newest.
- Replace the record on OCLC once the edits are made.
- Overlay the ALMA record, or simply make the same changes in ALMA manually.
- Notify Acquisitions and any branch staff involved about the changes.