Skip to Main Content

RDS@UF: Major and Minor Title Changes

Resource Description Services department procedures and policies

Updated January 2019 by Hank Young

Major and Minor Title Changes

This page describes how to catalog major changes. To know whether a new record is needed, see the procedure here.

Closing the old title is often done by overlaying the existing record with the closed record in OCLC.

Do overlay if: 

  • The record in the local catalog is provisional.
  • The record in the local catalog contains 040 $c CarP.
  • The record in OCLC is more complete than the record in the local catalog.
  •  The record in the local catalog uses old cataloging rules, and the OCLC record uses current rules.

If there is extensive information in local notes , or there is not much difference between the two records, it is probably simpler to edit the Aleph data to match the OCLC record.

The general procedures for closing a serial title are in the CONSER Cataloging Manual, Module 21, Section 3.


In general, we only change the call number if:

  • There is a change in the scope of the serial, (what the serial is about); or
  • The serial was previously classified in Dewey. (NO NEW TITLES or added locations should be classified in Dewey)

Special case: If the numbering of the new title begins again, we cannot use the exact same call number, but we should try to keep the two titles together. Adding a 1 or 2 to the end of the last cutter is a convenient way to distinguish the titles while keeping them adjacent.

When you need to change the call number, prefer the 050 in the OCLC record of the new title. If there is no 050, multiple 050s, or if there is a conflict, consult the Principal Serials Cataloger.

In some cases, some of the item records or information in holdings or order records will need to be moved from one record to another. We can change the holdings information and move the item records not attached to a subscription. Any changes that should be made to the order records can be pointed out when we notify the Acquisitions & Licensing Department. If items are attached to the order record, the Acquisitions and Licensing Dept. will need to move those items unless the entire HOL is being moved .

University of Florida Home Page

This page uses Google Analytics - (Google Privacy Policy)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.