Updated October 2018 by Suzanne Stapleton and Jorge Gonzalez
Affiliate Library Creation Workflow Documentation
- Review interest with Library Admin. In general, a good cause/rationale is needed to establish a new affiliate library (AF) since it is preferable to add items into existing libraries with circulation.
Questions to ask: Identify the library’s institutional affiliation, is this a candidate for a UF Satellite Library or is it affiliated with a different organization? Is there an existing inventory? Explain why not donate items and move to existing library? AF must be in a secure location and accessible to public. Who will manage the AF (monitor its use, review holdings, be present during open hours)?
Proceed with next steps if Library Administration is amenable to creating a new affiliate library.
- Affiliated Libraries Agreement form signed by AF director and Dept. chair and UF Library Assoc Dean and Dean. An inventory generated by Aleph will be added to Agreement when available. Review responsibilities & expectations with AF personnel. Discuss circulation preferences.
UF Libraries will provide training and guidance but AF is responsible for creating holdings, adding item records into Aleph catalog, and managing circulation (if any).
Introduce Jorge Gonzalez from Cataloging Department and Liaison Librarian as subject specialist.
- Determine new AF location code for catalog. Review code with Cataloging & Discovery Services and chair of Liaison Librarian’s home department. Cataloging Chair requests new location code from FALSC. Refer to format of existing affiliate libraries in library catalog.
- AF request permission from FALSC to install Aleph software on AF computer(s). Create accounts in Aleph for AF personnel.
- Preliminary inventory [to be completed prior to adding records into Aleph]: Identify all items to be retained in affiliate library. Set aside any fragile, damaged or rare items and notify Liaison Librarian to request consult with SASC (including University Archivist) and Preservation unit. For those items that will not be retained, UF Library will accept items to fill in gaps in collection. UF Library will not accept duplicates. Consult with Liaison Librarian to review potential gifts to library. Communicate with Gifts & Exchange to process any donations, including items for FLARE.
- Review and add Library of Congress call numbers to AF collection: Use WorldCat OCLC and UF Library catalog as reference; consult with Cataloging Liaison (listed below) as needed. A final inventory report will be created after item records are created in Aleph, so there is no need to create a separate inventory if one does not already exist.
- Circulation: Establish policies for circulation. Consult with Access Services. Questions to ask: Who will be able to borrow items? How many different circulation durations will be used (e.g. in-building use only, 1 week, 6 week)? What, if any, fines will be imposed for overdue items? Will items be made available to Interlibrary Loan? UBorrow? Add barcodes to aid circulation records in Aleph. Obtain barcodes from UF Library cataloging. AF will purchase a barcode reader.
- Brand items in AF as Property of University of Florida AF library: Conservationists recommend library name stamp instead of sticker.
- Submit Grover to update library webpage listing of Affiliated Libraries List (http://apps.uflib.ufl.edu/staffdir/SubjectSpecialist.aspx)
- Request new Locate button to appear in library catalog from FALSC.
- Schedule training in Aleph catalog system with AF cataloging liaison. Confirm steps 1-4 completed prior to training. Training will include how to add holding records with AF location code for items already in SUS Aleph library holdings, how to export OCLC records that are not in Aleph library catalog, and how to create NEW records using AF provisional template for materials needing original cataloging.
- AF personnel are responsible for adding holdings into Aleph with specific AF location code. Consult with Jorge Gonzalez, Cataloging as needed.
- UF Library cataloging department will generate official inventory, exported from Aleph and file this with AF director and UF Libraries Agreement form.
- Liaison Librarian will arrange review of rare items or damaged/fragile items with SASC (including University Archivist) and Book Preservation Unit.
Optional Recommended Steps
- Publicity: Develop flyers, articles, & social media to promote new AF library. Consider “opening day” celebration event.
- Consider writing a History of AF: interview & record history of Affiliated Library
Your two main points of contact for questions about affiliate libraries are:
- Jorge Gonzalez, Cataloging, UF George A. Smathers Libraries
- Greg Allen, Cataloging liaison for Tamara Cohen LGBT Resource Library, UF George A. Smathers Libraries.
- Your Liaison Librarian, a subject specialist for your discipline. Click here to find your Liaison Librarian.